Sunday, January 30, 2005

Lotte Big Waffle - mmm



I don't know why I went in, just curious I guess. I like to investigate. Maybe there's something I've never seen before. Especially when then there's stuff from other countries. Stuff you won't get in the everyday shops. Plus I like to keep up with what's out there in the confectionary game.

A lot of the time in Australia the new chocolate bars, biscuits and icecreams are what retailers call Extended Lines. E.g. Tim Tam biscuits; for decades there was one type, now there is Dark, Double Choc, Caramel, Tia Maria and others. Nothing new here. Just variations on a theme.

But I always hope. Maybe there'll be something new! So I went into the Korean/Japanese Convenience Store across from the Vic. Market in the city, not downtown, if you get my drift. I wasn't sure what I was looking for as I squeezed 'tween the aisles sniffing like a dog for something new...I grabbed a box of those Pucky sticks, they're like pretzels dipped in creamy icing, mmm. Seen 'em around, had 'em before.

But as I'm heading for the counter I notice the icecreams. For 9 months of the year I don't even look at icecream, the Iceman doesn't need cooling off...but it was a hot day, I'm in shorts and a look won't kill me, right?

Inside the freezer there's the usual suspects; Heaven, Drumstick, etc. but wait what's this? Some shiny brown block I haven't seen before. Big Waffle? huh? There's a picture of it on the wrapper, looks good. It's been bitten and you can see inside. There's a waffle that totally wraps a slab of chocolate ice cream that has a layer of chocolate stuff in the middle. I know what I have to do. I put the Puckys back and buy the Big Waffle. The guy at the counter says "You had one before?" "No, thought I try one, it looks good. They good?" The guy gives me a the look of someone who knows and says: "They're good".

I was hopeful of a top icecream experience before, but now I'm confident. I pop open the wrapper to take a look 'cause I've been burned before. You buy something with a cool picture and when you open it its tiny or has crap chocolate all over it... But it actually looks like the picture. So far so good. I take a small bite to check out the insides, mmm, again it checks out. But I can't risk a frozen treat so I rub it in its wrapper to try and melt it a bit. I realise the ingenious waffle is protecting the ice cream from melting and I decide to put in my pocket for awhile. When I resume its softened a bit and I go at it.

So what are they like? They're good.

No comments: